The WebGIS system G4VIEW is based on open source technologies and allows the dissemination and sharing of geographic information, also integrating third-party software products and platforms.
The data is managed by robust and efficient database systems such as PostgreSQL supported by PostGIS as a spatial extension.
G4VIEW can operate both on the Internet and intranet and is composed of three main components:
- Server and database, where data, access and security are managed
- Web server exposed on the Internet that makes data available to authorized clients, through the standard OGC services of Web Map Service (WMS) and Feature Web Service (WFS)
- Web Client to expose users to related functions, to perform operations on data such as consultation, construction of new data, execution and updating. Spatial analysis, creation of print maps, etc.
Check some installation of the system at following links
Consorzio di bonifica Delta del Po
For G4VIEW design, Arcadia SIT has paid particular attention to a series of points:
G4VIEW manage different types of data:
- Vector data (editable)
- Raster data like satellite imagery and aerial
- Metadata related to the layer and services
- Table data stored in PostgreSQL or others RDBMS
G4VIEW uses a local cache. The levels in different formats are managed statically or dynamically, to optimize the display, the use of the cache reduces access to the web server as much as possible, avoiding superfluous and redundant data transmission. Some features are processed directly on the client side, so as not to overload the web server.
Some of the main functionalities are:
- Dynamic command bar
- Multi window
- Navigation Controls: Pan, Incremental Zoom, Zoom Box, See All Space
- Base layer like Google, Bing, OpenStreetMap, etc.
- Attributes and display of documents
- Measurement of distances and areas
- Data sheet and search function
- Legend management
- Production reports
- Editing and updating of information
The latter is able to provide an effective solution for the distribution and integration of vertical applications that require the support of cartographic information data.
The G4VIEW structure consists of three main components:
- Database server
- Web server exposed on the Internet
- Web Client
The functionalities for the user are displayed in relation to his profile, he can perform operations on the data such as consultation, data entry, spatial analysis, print maps.
G4VIEW operates both Internet and intranet, based on the components described above.